Saturday, February 9, 2008

Who are we?

You might be curious about who we are and how exactly our backgrounds fit within the mesh. So here's a little background on the Snake and I that was taken directly from our OLPC Developer Program applications:


Tom's BIOGRAPHY
I obtained my Bachelors and Masters degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University. Much of my coursework focused on VLSI and Computer Architecture, but I am very familiar with Embedded HW and DSP applications through coursework, academic projects and professional experiences. My embedded breadth stretches from the low-level development of a light-weight RTOS on an XScale/ARM platform to an encrypted VoIP system on an Altera FPGA platform. My prototyping skills were also applied as a consultant to an educational NPO, Pittsburgh Voyager, where I architected hand-held device applications that collaborated students' data with databases on-board the vessel and on-shore.

In industry, I worked at Medtronic in their Cardiac Rhythm Management group. During my time at Medtronic, I worked on the migration of Heart Failure SW algorithms to ASICs as well as the power optimization of their Telemetry sub-systems. I also worked on the development of their Carelink Monitor firmware, which enabled clinicians to manage their patients' chronic illnesses remotely. I currently work in the aerospace industry on image processing R&D for tracking and discrimination. These DSP platforms range from custom-RISC processors to PowerPC cores. While my DSP background keeps me tight with various assembly languages, I am also proficient in C/C++/Java/Perl/MATLAB and have some familiarity with Python.



Jake's BIOGRAPHY
I obtained Bachelors degrees in both Electrical and Biomedical Engineering from the University of Wisconsin - Madison. There I was mentored by Prof. John Webster, a well-known expert in bioinstrumentation, both in classes and in several engineering design projects including a portable electroencephalograph, portable voice amplifier, and mosquito bite vibration sensor. My EE classes at UW focused on signal processing and circuit design. During my time at Wisconsin I also worked as a technician in the Chemistry Dept. electronics shop, where I learned practical skills in design, prototyping, and repair of instruments.

I am currently in my final year as a PhD in Bioengineering at the Univ. of California, San Diego. My thesis project, written entirely in Python, required me to build a software platform for automated measurement of heart function in adult fruitflies, including hardware interface (video, robotic stage, temperature and oxygen sensors). Design of this software required low-level memory management, threading, and GUI design. I am also proficient in data analysis languages (Matlab, IDL, R), and have some familiarity with Java, C, and Perl from some bioinformatics work over the course of my research.



Who would've thought 4 years after our days at Medtronic that we would be collaborating again.

Although a tech background would be most applicable, we invite all who share the passion to join us. Our primary efforts lie in the front-end development, but there are many areas we have not even begun to address, such as program awareness, possible fundraising. If you are interested at all, send us a brief description of your HW/SW experience as well as areas in which you'd like to contribute.

Any other questions? Shoot us an email.
olpc.goldenstate@yahoo.com

No comments: